When people think about securing their home, they often think about the doors and windows, primarily. But what about the basement? It is often an over looked area that definitely deserves some attention. Below are ten tips on how to better secure your basement from burglars.
1. Secure the inside. Make sure that there is no furniture or other tall items around to help a burglar climb down into the basement from the outside
2. Make sure the basement is well lit as well as the area outside, especially at night
3. Replace your windows with shatterproof glass or add security film so a broken window would stay in place upon an attempt to break it
4. Add bars to your windows
5. Use locks where applicable
6. Keep any valuables out of sight
7. Make sure the windows are visible so people aren’t able to hide behind large bushes or plants
8. Add items to the path leading up to the windows like garbage cans or other heavy items that will make noise if moved
9. Install motion detector lighting around the area
10. Contact us to discuss security for your basement. Audio sensors are a great option for this area of the house because if there is a noise like glass breaking, our Verification Center can hear the activity going on at your home. They are trained to be able to verify that a break-in is in fact occurring and dispatch police.*
*One of the questions we get asked the most is, “Can the operators hear what’s going on in my home or business whenever they want?” The answer is no. Your privacy is of utmost importance to us! Our operators can only hear what’s going on at your home or business when the system is turned on and something sets off an audio sensor. We’d love to pay you a visit and show you how it works!
Contact us today for a free security assessment!